Several service issues on your DB9 require you to remove the plastic inner wheel well arch liner so you can access hidden components. The most common reason is when you change your Air Filter as part of an annual service.
The technique is the same for both the right and left sides.
You’ll need to start by removing the front road wheel(s). Check out my previous posts and videos on:
- Preparing a road wheel for removal
- Single point jacking
- Placing the car up on jack stands (not required if you are doing just one side at a time)
- Removing the front under tray (not strictly required either)
The only tool you’ll need for this is the same T30 Torx socket that is used for so many tasks on the car.
Once I had the car off the ground and wheel removed, I removed the four T30 screws along the front air dam first. These might be painted to match the color of the car.
Then I crawled under by the jacking point and removed the three T30 screws in this area.
Finally I worked methodically inside the wheel well and removed 11 screws. I started on the ones that would be hard to see/reach first. This is deliberate, I didn’t want the liner falling and flopping around on me while I struggled with the hardest screws. I did the two easiest to reach screws last, the ones just fore and aft of the coil spring.
Once all the screws were removed, its just a matter of wrestling the liner out of the space. There is a small ‘lip’ just in front of the coil spring I had to lift it off of first. I then worked the front half of the liner loose, then the rear section, and finally I eased it out of the wheel well.
Once it was out, it was interesting to note the blanket of insulation/padding (?) on the back of the piece. Not sure what this is for, it’s not attached tightly enough to the plastic to really be an effective sound deadener. Anyone really know what this is for [please leave a moment]? If it was just for sound attenuation, might it be better to remove this stuff and replace it with Dynamat stuck directly to the entire back surface?
In a few places the tape used to hold it to the plastic liner was failing (I’ll repair that later with some new double sided outdoor rated tape).
While I had it off the car, I used my pressure washer and gave the liner a serious deep cleaning. Once it was clean, I used some Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer to make the liner look as good as new again.
I would suggest you check out my video on the process to get a better feel for how to wrestle it out.
Check out my bonus post on what you can find behind the wheel arch liners. Often its useful when planning a service to see how you can get to stuff before you start.
And here is my post and video on how to re-install the wheel arch liner.